The Family Dinner Project is based out of Boston–so we had to include a recipe for Fish Chowder, New England Style! (This recipe was republished from Food.com).
Junior chefs can help you peel potatoes, scrub carrots and celery, or add some more seasonings in for additional flavor. We suggest trying out versions with Old Bay spice, hot sauce, or chipotle powder (about a tsp. of any of these) OR add a bay leaf or chopped parsley!
- 1 lb. cod fish fillet
- 2 Tbsp. cooking oil (canola or olive)
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1/2 cup celery, diced
- 2 cups raw potatoes, peeled and diced
- 1/2 cup carrot, sliced
- 2 cups boiling water
- 1 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 cup milk
- Cut cod fillets into bite sized pieces.
- Put oil in large saucepan and cook onion and celery until onion is tender and translucent. Add potatoes, carrots, water, salt and pepper.
- Cover and simmer 15 minutes until vegetables are tender.
- Add fish and cook 10 minutes longer.
- Add milk.
- Reheat, but do not boil.