Fresh herbs make everything better, but this sauce is good with dried herbs as well. If you’re using fresh herbs, increase the amount a bit.
This recipe comes from FDP team member Lynn Barendsen—she likes to serve it with pasta and chicken!
- 1 can (28 oz.) diced tomatoes
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- Splash olive oil
- 1-2 Tbsp. oregano
- 1 Tbsp. basil
- 1-2 Tbsp. parsley
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat 2-3 Tblsps. olive oil in a pan over low heat.
- Add onion and saute until clear.
- Add garlic and cook for a few minutes longer–do not let garlic start to brown (it will become bitter).
- Add tomatoes and stir.
- Add herbs and salt and pepper to taste.
- If you like a smooth sauce, you can either mash with a potato masher or put the sauce through a blender. But it is equally good to serve as is over pasta.